Do you get up every morning and crave for a cup of tea and some crunchy biscuits? Vegan or not most of us define tea and biscuits as a wake-up alarm. It’s the perfect way you set for work every day. In India we see people dipping their biscuits in a cup of spiced tea whereas in other countries treats like shortbreads, cookies, and biscotti are offered with coffee. If you want to bake some biscuits at home, here are some simple vegan biscuits recipes for you.
There are different kinds of biscuits available in different countries of the world. In India, we have varieties like Nankhatai, Khara biscuits, cream biscuits, rusks, and more. If you are not fond of sweet biscuits you can make some savory biscuits with spices, cheese, and herbs.
Doesn’t it seem yummyilicious? Try these amazing vegan biscuits recipes listed below.
Tasty And Crunchy Vegan Biscuit Recipes
1. Digestive Biscuits
Digestive biscuits are in great demand amongst bakery lovers. These biscuits are nothing but a simple blend of cookies in which baking soda is added as an antacid. Now that doesn’t sound quite appealing, does it? But, honestly, these biscuits are very tasty and healthy.
Here is a veganized version of digestive biscuits for people switching on a plant-based diet. They are no refined sugar, no dairy, and no refined flour goodies with a subtle nutty flavor. Check out the easy vegan biscuits recipes here.
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 5-8 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- Extra flour for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 380°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Grind the oats to course flour like consistency in a food processor. To this add spelt flour, salt, baking powder and brown sugar and pulse lightly to combine all ingredients evenly.
- Now add coconut oil and process until it mixes well with the dry ingredients. Gradually add milk (1 tablespoon at a time) to form a smooth biscuit dough.
- Dust your work surface with some spelt flour and transfer the dough to it. Sprinkle some more flour over it.
- Roll out the dough to about 3mm thickness.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out rounds into the dough. In case you don’t have a cookie cutter use the cap of a mason jar or similar object. You may also make biscuits of different shapes (stars or squares) if you like.
- Place these rounds on the baking tray laying them at least 2 inches apart so they have enough room to expand.
- Bake for around 15 minutes or till the biscuits turn golden brown. Allow them to cool; they will firm up in the process.
- Place on the cooling wire rack and allow it to cool completely.
- Serve with hot chocolate.
- Store in an airtight container.
2. Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter is a delicious alternative to the real butter in making vegan biscuits. This is one of the best and delectable vegan biscuits recipes. It has a delicious nutty flavor and nubby texture that melts in your mouth. It is a simple recipe that everyone must definitely try.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup cold vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Extra sugar for rolling, preferably coarse sugar
- Take a small bowl and combine flaxseeds and water. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl add vegan margarine, coconut sugar and brown sugar and whisk until it becomes homogeneous and fluffy. You may also use an electric stand-in mixture for the same.
- Add the flaxseed mixture and pure vanilla extract to the fluffy batter. Whisk for around 2 minutes until it combines with the rest of the batter.
- In another bowl mix flour, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and lightly mix until just incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and chill the mixture for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place some coarse sugar in a small bowl on the table. Take a tablespoon of dough and form a ball, roll it into sugar and place on the parchment-lined baking tray.
- Use a fork to flatten the biscuits. Position the biscuits about 1.5 inches apart.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes or until they start to turn golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to the cooling rack.
3. Vegan Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
The Southern Cuisine has a unique taste for biscuits and crackers. They love the good old fashioned buttermilk biscuits and this regional delight will take you off guard too. What more appealing is that you can make them vegan! These plant-based buttermilk bites are just perfect for a mid-time snack with a cup of vegan tea or coffee. What more can you ask if you find such tempting vegan biscuits recipes right here.
- 1 cup vegan butter of your choice
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (almond or soy)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups self rising flour
- Preheat oven to 475o Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone mat.
- In a large bowl mix milk and vinegar to make vegan buttermilk. Keep aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a cheese grater, grate vegan butter into a dish. Take flour and butter in another bowl and mix to form a coarse meal like consistency. Refrigerate this mixture for around 10 minutes.
- To the dry ingredients add vegan buttermilk and stir well (15 times to be more specific). If you feel that the dough is dry, add some more buttermilk to make soft and moist dough.
- Dust some flour on your rolling board, put the dough on it and gently pat into a rectangular shape (about 1/2 inch thick). Now fold the dough 4 times and again flatten it into rectangular shape (this time 1 inch thick).
- Using a cookie cutter or any other rounder shape the dough into circles. Place the biscuits on the baking tray positioning them 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove biscuits from oven, allow them to cool for 10 minutes, brush with melted vegan butter, and serve.
Hope you have liked our vegan biscuits recipes and will try making them soon.
Send in your vegan biscuit recipes in the comment section below.
Happy Baking!! Happy Munching!!