Almonds! These little nuts are a delight amongst young and old alike. You can use almonds in a variety of ways to prepare your favorite delicacies. From lip-smacking desserts to curried main course, almonds savor your taste buds in its subtle nutty flavor.
Almonds are excellent sources of proteins and healthy fats and so is almond milk. Vegan dishes contain almond milk as a primary dairy substitute. For people who don’t like soy as milk alternative almond milk must be your choice.
Vegan cuisine excludes the use of any animal-based products including dairy, eggs, and honey. There are various health benefits of using almond milk, but there are a few concerns related to the consumption of this nutty drink. Some people associate it with good health while others want to know, ‘does almond milk cause constipation?’
We bring some vital information for go-to vegans who use almond milk in their recipes. Read till the end to know all facts, benefits and possible side effects of almond milk.
- Popular Vegan Milk Alternative
- How To Make Almond Milk?
- Almond Milk Nutrition Facts
- Almond Milk Recipe
- Homemade Vs Packaged Almond Milk
- Benefits Of Almond Milk
- Side Effects Of Almond Milk
- Does Almond Milk Cause Constipation?
- Can Almond Milk Upset Your Stomach?
- Is Almond Milk Good For Toddlers?
- Various Ways To Include In Your Diet
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Popular Vegan Milk Alternative
What is the most popular vegan milk alternative that you can use in most of your recipes? Which nut milk will taste better in all your vegan dishes? Which is the dairy substitute that provides major nutrients plus delicious taste?
This drink doesn’t come from something that moos; but we still call it as milk in the culinary industry. You will also find other tree nut milk made from pecans, hazelnuts, and cashews. Many vegan recipes do include soy milk as a dairy alternative. The choice remains yours as you experiment with new recipes in your kitchen.
How To Make Almond Milk?
You might be wondering how raw almonds can yield milk. But, this is possible. All you have to do is soak them overnight and blend with some water. Add a little vanilla for flavor. Strain the slurry through a muslin cloth and voila: delicious, gluten-free, unsweetened, almond milk for your tea, coffee, smoothies, oatmeal, and baked goods!
Almond Milk Nutrition Facts
Almond milk contains various essential nutrients that benefit the body. It is low in fat but comes with a boost of energy, amino acids, and fiber. This drink also contains various minerals and vitamins.
One glass of this drink contains:
- Calories – 30
- Protein – 1g
- Monosaturated fats – 1.5g
- Fiber – 1g
- Magnesium – 17g
Calcium and vitamins are other fortified nutrients available in the store-bought options.
Almond Milk Recipe
Here is an excellent flavored milk recipe that you’ll enjoy drinking. It’s simply delicious and perfect for cereals and baking.
- 1 cup raw almonds (soaked overnight in fresh water)
- 5 cups of water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 whole dates (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional, chocolate milk)
- 1/2 cup berries (optional, for berry milk)
- In a high-speed blender, add soaked almonds, optional add-ins, water, and salt. Pulse on high and blend until it turns into smooth and creamy slurry. Keep mixing for about 1-2 minutes to get the most out of your almonds.
- Strain it using a nut milk bag or cheesecloth. Squeeze all the liquid out from the slurry and discard the pulp.
- Transfer the liquid into a jar or bottle, cover and refrigerate.
- Use and enjoy when required.
- You can save the pulp for adding into baked goods like crackers.
- Store up to 5-6 days in the refrigerator. Though it tastes best when consumed fresh.
- Shake well before using.
Homemade Vs Packaged Almond Milk
- Homemade almond milk is 100% nutritious and tasty. You can make fresh batches of the drink without adding any preservatives and chemicals to stabilize the product.
- The mass-produced milk must contain sweeteners, stabilizers, and is fortified with vitamins and calcium to make it look and taste like dairy milk.
- Homemade milk contains no sugar and is less in calories with some healthy fats. It helps to control blood sugar levels and promotes a healthy heart.
- However, the marketed products are fortified with a host of minerals and vitamins to meet the nutritional requirements
Benefits Of Almond Milk
Almond milk has numerous benefits some prominent and important ones are mentioned below:
- Low in calorie: If you want to lose weight skip on dairy milk and consume this health drink. You can count on a reduction of approximately 350 calories.
- Controls blood sugar: Buy an unsweetened variety of this drink which contains very less or no sugar. Homemade versions are best for people with diabetes.
- Enriched with vitamin E: It is fortified with a host of vitamins including vitamin E. One cup of almond milk contains 30-50% of the daily requirement of vitamin E. It is an excellent source of antioxidants which fights stress in the body and eliminates risks of heart diseases.
- Healthy bones: Fortified with bevy nutrients (mainly calcium and vitamin D) this nut milk is a boon for your bones.
- Lactose-free: For people who cannot digest lactose present in dairy should drink almond milk. It’s completely free of lactose.
- Easy to include in diet: It can be consumed alone or paired with any cereals or baked goods or coffee
Side Effects Of Almond Milk
This creamy beverage is high in its nutritional value and perfect for those who are allergic to soy or dairy. However, there are few side effects associated with the consumption of this nutty beverage. Here are a few adverse effects to be noted:
- Allergies: This drink is obtained from tree nuts, so if you are allergic to nuts avoid consuming it.
- Thyroid: Almonds tend to irritate your thyroid glands when consumed in large quantities. It induces thyroid gland swelling thereby affecting iodine assimilation in the body.
- Migraine: The presence of amino acid tyrosine in the nut drink triggers or increases migraine attacks in some people.
- Sugar-laden: Homemade nut drink has negligible amounts of sugar and carbs in it but, the commercial varieties are abundant in sugar and preservatives that stabilize and enhance its taste. We recommend using unsweetened milk, especially for diabetic people.
Constipation is a common problem that’s generally defined as having less than three bowel movements per week. In fact, as many as 27% of adults experience it and its accompanying symptoms, such as bloating and gas. The older or more physically inactive you get, the more likely you are to experience it
Does Almond Milk Cause Constipation?
Constipation is one of the common symptoms experienced by approximately 27% of adults. It is generally defined as having less than three bowel movements in a week.
Almond milk is naturally great for your gut. It is lactose-free and is rich in fiber that helps to spur your digestive system.
However, the store-bought beverage contains a blend of a harmful additive including carrageenan, a polysaccharide obtained from red algae. This substance causes gastric distress including gas, bloating, diarrhea and fatigue. However, it is not shown to cause any constipation.
Thus, it is advisable to read labels before you buy products from the dairy shelves. Alternatively, consider making almond milk at home.
Can Almond Milk Upset Your Stomach?
In a few cases, people show some gastric discomfort on the consumption of this nut drink. The stomach lining gets irritated causing pain, bloating, gas, nausea, and reduction of appetite. People with irritable bowel syndrome should avoid using it.
Is Almond Milk Good For Toddlers?
Almond milk and constipation is a common concern amongst parents going vegan. Transitioning to a dairy-free diet can be difficult for some children.
Nothing can substitute the goodness of breastmilk. Thus, it is not recommended to replace it with a bottle of almond milk. A baby’s digestive system is not strong enough to digest the amino acids, vitamins, and minerals present in this non-dairy beverage. Make a gradual shift from breastmilk to dairy milk to almond milk to avoid malnutrition and bowel irritation in your toddler.
Various Ways To Include In Your Diet
Here are some easy ways to add this energy drink in your diet.
- As a healthy, nutrient-packed drink
- Pair it with cereals, oats or muesli at breakfast
- Substitute in your tea, coffee or hot chocolate
- Add to baking foods
- In non-dairy yogurt, smoothies, and ice-creams
- Add to your savory dishes like soups or sauces
Having said the above, almond milk is a delicious alternative to cow’s milk for vegans or people suffering from lactose intolerance. With so many health benefits and fewer side effects, it is proven to be a great vegan health drink.
Are you transitioning to vegan?
Then you must add almond milk in your diet.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, it is a healthy non-dairy substitute for cow’s milk. Almonds are rich in essential vitamins and minerals that the body needs. It should be included in your diet.
It is made by grinding almonds and water in a high-speed mixer. Natural flavours or sweetening agents can be added to homemade milk for taste. Commercial products contain artificial sweeteners and stabilizers in the product.
Almond milk has a nutty flavour; however, you can flavour it with vanilla to enhance the taste.
Yes, plain nut milk is gluten-free.
Yes, plain almond milk is 100% lactose-free.
This nutty beverage lasts longer than cow’s milk, usually about 6-7 days after you open the pack and store it in a refrigerator.